Nathan Walker is a performance artist and poet based in York. His work considers language as an action through phonic, sonic and visual forms of writing. His research explores the relationships between sound poetry and performance art.
He has performed internationally at galleries, festivals and text events, most recently: Experimentica, Chapter Arts, Cardiff; Drafting, Baltic 39, Newcastle Upon Tyne; The Other Room, Manchester; Performance Space, London; and Shady Dealings with Language, Bökship / Matts Gallery, London.
His book of computer generated Event Scores, Action Score Generator, was published by If P Then Q in 2015.
He is currently PhD Candidate in Writing at University of Salford and Senior Lecturer in Performance at York St John University. Alongside Victoria Gray, he is co-director of Oui Performance.
info [at] nathan-walker.co.uk
- Oui Performance: Performance Art in the City of York
Co-authored by Victoria Gray & Nathan Walker
Oui Performance Papers, Issue One, July 2015
- Permutation and Randomness in the Action Score Generator
Journal of Writing in Creative Practice 7: 1. 2014
Performance Research Volume 18(5) 2013
- Out of Time: Group Action and Temporary Autonomous Zone, almost
Co-authored with Victoria Gray
Oui Book One, Oui Performance, York. 2011
- The Edge of Writing: John Stezaker’s ‘Cinema 1 II’
Activate e-Journal Volume 1(1) 2011
Mark Greenwood, Dog Food, Sid & Kylie
New Work Yorkshire Zine 1 2011
Similar Different & Good Looking: Reading Intelligent Clashing
'Something Tremendous Has Happened’ by Silver, R. 2011
Poetry, Audio, Ephemera
- Four Dicrostic Poems
Published in The Other Room Anthology 2014-15 Vol 7 2015
- So Damn Easy to Cave In
Anagram published in Terrible Beauty Fanzine Issue 17 2015
- Houses in the Basement
Page Work published in Bibliophile Issue 3 'Voice // Score // Text'
- Plot Checks for Trojan Horse Plots
Artists Pages published in The Blue Notebook: Journal for Artists' Books, Volume 9 No 1, Oct 2014, University of West England
- Kitchen Feet
Sound Poem published in Huellkurven Issue 2
- These are the Motions
Soanyway Magazine ‘Over & Over’ ISSN 2043-6408 2011
- On the Origins and Theory of the ‘Install-action’: An Interview with Brian Connolly
Interviewed by Nathan Walker August 2013, Unpublished
A4 3-Page Wax on Transparency, Hand-bound with central 8mm Eyelet. Ltd 15 numbered copies. Commissioned by Mercy, Liverpool.
- FIVE: HARD DIRT SOFT WORD ADER
RITE, Open Dialogues & New Work Network 2010
- Review of Action Score Generator by Eileen R. Tabios at Galatea Resurrects Issue 24
- Review of Action Score Generator by Steve Spence at Stride Magazine
- Interviewed for Felt Acts Magazine
- Interviewed by Mercy, Liverpool
- Hunter Gatherer Review by Lara Eggleton
- This Weeks Exhibitions, Guardian
- Review by Mark Greenwood
Links Blog | Academia | Oui Performance | Victoria Gray
Photo credits: Warren Orchard, Marco Berardi, Jordan Hutchings, Victoria Gray, Frank Homeyer, Karen Meiner, Richard James Hall, Bean, Joanna Loveday, Claire Greenwood, Poppy Jackson, Mark Greenwood, Maddy Pethick. All images are copyright of the artist and should not be reproduced anywhere without prior permission.
© Nathan Walker 2015